Thursday, April 30, 2009

in the mail.

Photobucket
"Ever since the decision was made to donate Mom's organs and tissues, I've often caught myself thinking about whom the recipients might have been and how they've gotten a chance at improved life because of Mom's gift. The nagging curiosity of who those people might be prompted me to make a phone call to Lifeline of Ohio--the agency that coordinated her donation. During that phone call to Lifeline of Ohio, I made a general inquiry and asked about recipient families and how the donor families can make contact with them. I already knew, from previous correspondence from them, that they were able to use Mom's corneas, some tissue and ligaments, and provide skin grafting for some burn victims, as well as bone grafting. I was told that the recipients are prompted to send a note of thanks to the family when they receive their organ and/or tissue donation, but it rarely happens. In that same breath, she also said not to expect to ever meet...it does happen, but it is rare. She kindly asked Mom's name and looked her up in their files. As I patiently waited on the phone, I had a mix of anger and relief. I was relieved because I finally knew my answer and didn't have to wonder any longer, but I also was angry that, chances were, I'd never get to meet these families. Dang you Hollywood. Shame on you for distorting reality. I was already in another state of mind...daydreaming again. "Thank you for waiting, are you still there?" the voice gently said. I was quickly brought back to the present. She said, "We've had two families contact us in regard to your mother and we've sent the correspondence to Dale." Wow. Really? Talk about a roller coaster of emotions in a quick 10-minute phone conversation. I was told that she'd be glad to send me copies of the thank you notes after getting permission from Dale first. She quickly followed with an invitation to attend and Organ Donor Reception that would take place two days later. The reception was a time to celebrate new life because of organ donors like Mom, but also remember the lives that were lost to make those celebrations happen. There's now no doubt in my mind that we made the right decision when we chose to donate LIFE."
Photobucket

i got a lovely surprise in the mail last week.
Photobucket

Photobucket

***********************************
the above layout is an exerpt from my current class at Get It Scrapped! called In Loving Memory. Registration is still open. Email me (link is under my photo to the right) if you have specific questions.

and i couldn't let the last day of April pass without sharing a link since it is National Organ Donor Awareness month. as of today there are nearly 102,000 on the waiting list for an organ donation of some kind.

ONE donor can save 8 people through organ donation and improve life for more than 50 through tissue donation.

Learn more about Organ and Tissue Donation and join the Donor Registry at organdonor.gov and donatelife.net.
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. WOW how awesome and special to know that your mothers life made a difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I read this I get goosebumps and teary eyed.You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tania, I am so glad you heard from the recipients! That makes the gift so much more special to know the names of those touched.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking time to connect with me in this space! i will do my best to leave comments answering any questions you may ask. if you are commenting on an older post and you dont see your comment publish right away it is because I have comments set to be approved before publishing on any blog posts older than 10 days old due to a recent influx of comment spammers. i will see your comment, approve it and reply to you....if it isnt spam. xoxo :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails