some people go out to eat every weekend or order pizza in every friday.
us? we have Taco Tuesday. usually. not always, but more often than not, if it's Tuesday, something mexican is on the menu.
it's quick, it's easy, and it's something that everyone will eat without complaint. BONUS! :)
something that is sure to be made on Taco Tuesday is salsa. we all love salsa and eat lots of it. once you make homemade salsa, you're sure to never buy storebought again. it's so easy and takes me less than 3 minutes. :)
we have a few trusty salsa recipes, but this one is our favorite.
here's what you'll need:
- 2 (14.5oz) canned plain diced tomatos (if you want it to have some kick, use one can of plain diced & one can of diced with green chilies)
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced OR 1 tsp. minced garlic (jarred)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (we prefer red onion)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. jalepeno pepper juice
- 1 spoonful sliced, pickled jalepeno peppers (optional: for more spice)
dump it all in a blender and pulse until you have the desired consistency. the kids don't like it chunky, so we nearly liquify ours. sample the salsa with a tortilla chip before removing from blender to see if it needs more of something. keep in mind after it sits a day in the fridge, the flavors will blend and become stronger.
if you get it a bit too spicy....add more tomatos! :)
now that you see how easy--and tasty--it is to make your own, why not whip up a batch to give to a neighbor or friend!?
then, before giving it, take 10 more minutes to dress up your jar with a canning label crafted by way of the Fuse Creativity System. :)
let me show you how: Canning Labels by Tania Willis
may all your mexican meals from here forward be graced with delicious salsa! ENJOY!